Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Techie ♥

I've always loved learning about new technology as a child and even more so as an adult. I didn't grow up with luxuries like a color tv, cable, landline phone or Atari games. The most luxurious technological things I owned as a child were a typewriter, calculator and dual cassette player. My oh my how things have changed and, yet, not so much. Currently, I don't have cable or sattelite tv. I have found that there aren't enough hours in my day to watch all of those extra channels. Besides, regular airtime television is enough. I also do not have a landline home phone, but not many folks do now a days. I've traded in that old typewriter for a laptop and dual cassette player for an iPod.
So, my G1 (Google) cell phone has been acting up lately and I decided to put myself on the waiting list for the HTC HD2. The bad thing is that I really do need a new phone NOW and this HTC HD2 phone won't be in stock for another month! According to reviews (YouTube), it's a better product that the current iPhone (which is probably going to be outdated due to a soon-to-be released new version of the iPhone). Right now, I really don't need the latest and greatest phone. However, I'd like something remotely close to greatness a.k.a the iPhone. Je je. Hopefully my Google phone will hold out until it gets replaced.

The other beauty I've had my eye on is the iPad. I can definitely say it's not a product I need, but it is a beautiful toy I'd like to own. Why? It's lighter than my laptop and functions like a tablet. As a designer, I also tend to lean more towards Mac products. So, why don't I own an iPhone instead since it's an Apple product? That's a good question. I like my cell phone carrier. Point blank. Why don't I look for an unlocked version of the iPhone? I did, but for the cost of a used, outdated iPhone, I could get a brand new knock-off. Ha!
Back to the iPad. I had been wanting to visit one at Best Buy, but hadn't found the time to do so. Luckily, a co-worker just purchased one and was using it to show his slides during a meeting. After the meeting, I went over to his office and asked if he'd let me play with his iPad and he did! It's a little heavier than I'd imagined and so much more beautiful. The visual aesthetics of it is phenomenal, it's extremely user-friendly and it's fast.

One of the big reasons I wasn't sold on the Kindle, Nook or most e-readers was their lack of color. I'm an artist, designer and photographer. I require visual stimulation. The iPad brings the rainbow to reading books and magazines. No, it doesn't come with Flash and it probably won't, which will lead to better photography for editorials such as WIRED or your local newspaper. Anyhow, I'm not on a waiting list to get myself an iPad, but it's on my list of self-indulgence. =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment