Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Take a Hike!

I can't pinpoint the exact moment I decided that hiking was an activity I enjoyed. However, there are a variety of reasons why it's become an endeavour I have embraced. I was seldom exposed to nature outside my own backyard as I was growing up. I can count on one hand how many places I was taken to before the age of 22 that offered me the opportunity to explore Mother Nature in a different form.

It wasn't until I met my ex-husband that I was truly introduced to hiking while we camped in the Gila Wilderness Forest. I used to think it was funny that people defined a walk or stroll on a trail a "hike", but that's what it was/is. When we moved to Austin, I began to explore the city's hidden trails and treasures on my own.

When we moved back to El Paso, TX, my hiking adventures stopped for a bit due to mommyhood. I really looked forward to the day that I got to take my Mini Me camping and hiking for the first time. I only had to wait a year before we took him camping into the forest. On his first hike, we came across some horses and he was ecstatic!
2003 - Willow Creek, Gila Wilderness Forest

My boredom with the El Paso area encouraged me to seek surrounding venues to explore when my husband (at the time) was willing to explore with me. I felt "safer" hiking with him than alone with my Mini Me. Eventually, there came a time when begging him to go hiking with us became something of a chore. I decided to suck it up and brave the trails on my own with my Mini Me in tow. I slowly became an avid hiker seeking new trails to discover within 100 or so miles from the city. The best part of it all was that my Mini Me fell in love with hiking, too. We've both cleared miles and miles of trails, eaten several pounds of trail mix and beef jerky, chugged liter after liter of water, all while discovering nature's beauty.

His love for hiking is shown in his selection for this year's birthday gift. I asked him if he wanted a birthday party (which I tend to go all out on) or a trip of his choice. After thorough contemplation, he chose to visit Yosemite National Park. I'm so proud! :) We get to hike the same trails and terrain that Ansel Adams did at one time. I get to shoot the marvels of the trip!

His love of nature comes from me and his dad. I'm glad that seed was planted early on because he appreciates nature and respects it for what it has and offers. ♥

5 comments:

  1. I was telling Kel that maybe we can convince you to taking us hiking when we go. Lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo! That would be awesome! Cloudcroft would be the best bet at that time of year. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely! :D You know not too many folks around here care for hiking. :/

    ReplyDelete