Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Grammar Nazi


The Urban Dictionary has several definitions of what a Grammar Nazi is. I have to say that the closest definition to myself would be # 9: A person who uses proper English, proofreads papers for fun, and generally corrects everyone's improper grammar. This person feels very ashamed when he or she is caught making such errors and corrects himself/herself often. It should be noted that a Grammar Nazi simply wants to help others and does not correct others out of arrogance.

When I was younger, my arrogance used to grammatically critique OUTLOUD every single note my friends would write to me. "You have a comma splice. That should be capitalized. You used the wrong there. It should be their." I remember one particular occassion when my friend, whom shall remain nameless, yelled at me, "JUST READ THE NOTE! It's JUST a note!" Is it just a note? What would you say if I saved this said note and hundreds of years later it was found? Sure, you'd be long gone by then, but wouldn't you want to come across as literate? Is it that the schools are failing us or have most chosen the lazier route in writing?

Now that I'm older, I have learned to refrain from pinpointing to folks that their sentence structure is incorrect. If they want to appear illiterate, then so be it. I will, however, correct their sentences, punctuations or spelling in my mind while shaking my head or rolling my eyes. It's quite a sight to see. Je je. Trust me, it's a thrill to be asked to edit someone's paper, especially when that someone has a higher degree than myself. =D

I have to mention, though, that I have chosen to take creative license in writing when I respond to a social networking site posts. *smirk*

2 comments:

  1. I am far from perfect in this area so I tend to keep my mouth shut when it comes to it. However, in my opinion it's laziness. A lot of people nowadays use acronyms for the same reason. It's shorter to type "LOL" than laugh out loud. So with that, it's not a sense of urgency to spell it out if it's not something that is being passed along at a work environment. Funny thing is, I've seen managers use acronyms in email trails. Now that's pretty bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that there should be some pride in writing correctly especially if you're a supervisor. Using proper grammar in the work place is important in order to make a positive impression. ;)

    ReplyDelete