Saturday, February 7, 2009

What are you passionate about?

A couple of days ago, my co-worker, Dana waltzed into my office. Luckily it was during my down time and she caught me sketching a bird. She merely glanced at it, as she has with other sketches I've made. She asked if I was bored. Technically, I wasn't since I was sketching. It tends to make the time go by faster, at least for me. If it's not art related then she'll find me reading... again, on my down time. I do work! Really I do!

The point is, I turned and asked her,
"What are YOU passionate about?"
D:"What do you mean?"
Me: "What do you like to do? You obviously don't like to read." **She won't bother reading fwded jokes**
D: "I go to school."
Me: "So, you like going to school?"
D: "No"
Me: "So, if you die tomorrow, what would you feel you would've missed out at?"
D: "I gotta raise my girls first"
Me: "Then parenting is your passion?"
D: "No... I don't know..."

Dana walked out of my office and all I could think at that moment was, "Wow" as I shook my head. It made me reflect on the question: "What do you want to be when you grow up?" Art has always been a part of me. I'm not sure where I picked up on drawing since I wasn't taught the fundamentals in art at the elementary school level. There are so many things I'm passionate about that revolve around the art world but there are also things I'd love to learn that have nothing to do with art. I like manipulating html code to enhance the beauty of the page. Hmm... I guess it has to involve art in order to want to learn. Someday I'd like to go to culinary school. Again, it's another form of art since the final product becomes a tasteful masterpiece. I'd love it if there was a way to split myself in many ways in order to learn and consume more knowledge about the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment