Monday, April 18, 2011

HTC HD2 vs Galaxy S

While out hiking in the Sacramento Mountains this weekend with my Mini Me, my HTC HD2 phone gave out. The HTC Sence didn't work anymore so I couldn't make calls, text or take photos. This was my 3rd replacement this year of the same model of cell phone. In all honesty, when it worked, I loved it. What I wasn't fond of were the Windows apps since the majority in stock weren't freebies. Nor was the selection much to drool over. What I would put as #1 was the size of the screen for photos. I took a lot of great shots with it and it came w/ flash (though I rarely used the flash feature since I prefer natural light). I also liked that my Facebook would sync to my contacts even if my contacts were named differently in my contact list. And it would update their profile photos on the HTC HD2. In essence this is what it had or didn't have:

      HTC HD2
  • Lots of glitches with freezing
  • HTC Sense (Touch) would stop functioning (which meant time to replace phone)
  • Minimal app selection
  • Amazing screen size
  • Awesome photo resolution
  • Flash for photos
  • A great light indicator notifying you of missed calls or received txts
  • Sync contacts w/ Facebook friends (including their profile photos)
  • Bluetooth with my car was a problem on the receiving end. I had to YELL!
  • Came with Transformers 1 AND 2


 
So because it was the 3rd time I'd returned it, I went from this...
to this...



I think the girl behind the counter was much more excited about the phone than I was. I the agitated customer who loved a phone that didn't want to play nice all the time. Given that I wanted to have the same type of phone (touch) I was introduced to the Galaxy S 4G. I heard somewhere that 3G and 4G are the same thing. That basically it's all in the labeling. It gives the customer the sense that it's better if the # is greater but it's just a name change. It's heresay though. I haven't researched it thoroughly. Anyhow, the girl behind the counter said, "The phone has been out for 1 month and we haven't received any complaints." Hmm... well, let's just say that after day 1 of being an owner of the Galaxy S, it froze!!!!!! Since it wouldn't shut off, I attempted to remove the cover I'd bought for it in order to access the back of the phone to remove the battery. I broke the cover within a matter of minutes. Grrr!
Other than that, it did sync all of my contacts but it won't sync my contacts profile photos from Facebook. Boooo! I do have access to a ton of free apps now. That's a huge plus. I haven't had a chance to play with the photo feature like I'd like to. The screen size is disappointing but it'll have to do. I also miss having a little flashing light indicating that there's a missed call or text. The Galaxy S doesn't have that feature. So far, this is what I've observed:

      Galaxy S
  • It has two camera features (facing rear or forward)
  • No flash for photos
  • Higher-Res photos
  • Tons of free apps and widgets
  • 7 pages to fill your cell desktop with apps or widgets
  • No light indicator signaling missed calls or texts
  • No option to remove the voicemail envelope indicator (I hate that)
  • Came with Inception on a 16G memory card
  • Bluetooth seems more compatible w/ my car. No yelling! :D
  • Google Talk feature for easy texting while driving
I'm slowly coming to love my taped up new Galaxy S. Yes... I used Scotch tape to put my cover back on my phone. Gives it character. lol

2 comments: