Wednesday, June 8, 2011

People vs Tools


What the Duck by Aaron Johnson
 I think it's amazing how ignorance plays such a big role with a certain percentage of folks when it comes to photography or art for that matter. What's my gripe today? It's actually an every so often gripe. It's the one when people tell me, "You must have a really nice camera (or phone)," when they are drawn to a photo I've taken. In other words, the camera shot the photo; not me. If you see nice penmanship, do you tell that person that they must have a really nice pen? Or if you read an excellent book, do you tell the author that they must've had a really nice computer or typewriter?? No. All of these objects are the tools or devices used by the navigator. My camera, whether it's my cell phone camera, my Nikon or someone else's camera, is a tool, people! Just like my paintbrush; it's a tool. The brush doesn't paint the canvas on it's own.

I've handed my "really nice" camera over to people to take photos of their own. Rarely is the final result a well framed shot. A photo requires the ability to scan an area that's void of structures blocking the overall view or coming out of people's heads within a matter of mili seconds. When photographing people, you need to make sure the shot isn't backlit (light hitting from behind) or their faces will be dark. This only works when it's an intentional silhouette scene. When photographing babies, children, pets or plants, the navigator (photographer) needs to get low to the ground. I'm definitely not afraid to lay on my stomach in order to get the right angle.

I'm just saying that there is quite a bit of insight that comes with snapping photos; at least for me. And that although it may have taken me less than a second to snap, a part of me that clicked with nature or the person in the photo has been preserved forever. I will say, however, that I don't use my cameras to their full potential. I point and shoot. I prefer natural light so I rarely shoot with flash.
Next time you see someone with a "really nice" camera, don't assume they have "really nice" photos. But hey.... they may just surprise you!

No comments:

Post a Comment